Tournament Rules and Regulations
All games shall be played in accordance with the Laws of the Game as issued by FIFA, USSF & US Club Soccer. The following rules supplement the Laws of the Game.Download PDF
Each team is allowed three (3) guest players. Players may be rostered to multiple teams assuming they all play at different ages or different brackets. These players must be presented at Registration and must be listed on each team Tournament Roster.
All age groups to follow JAN. 1 – DEC. 31 birth year cut-offs
• U8 – U10: 14 players
• U11-U12: 16 players
• U13[11v11] – U19: 18 players
• All parents and spectators are required to sit on one side of the field opposite the players.
• All coaches on the bench area must be licensed and passed. In no case will a team be allowed to participate without a properly passed coach, in this case, the team will forfeit the game in question.
• Player passes will be checked prior to each match
• Player numbers must match tournament roster for players to be eligible for match
• In the event of a uniform color conflict, the home team changes jerseys.
• No coin toss – Home team sits on north/west bench, defends north/west goal and has kick-off in the first half, teams switch at half-time.
• Teams must have an alternative set of jerseys.
• Off-sides rule will be enforced from U9-U19, U8 purposeful off-sides is not permitted
• If an Official Tournament Ball is not present, the home team is responsible to provide a game ball.
• U8 shall use size #3, U9- U12 divisions shall use a #4 ball. U13 – U19 divisions shall use a #5 ball.
• U8: 4v4/5v5 will be on micro-fields, U9 – U10: 7v7 will be on small fields; U11-U12: 9v9 on intermediate fields; U13-U19: 11v11 on full fields.
• The tournament does not require the referee to add time to any half of the game.
• All Referee decisions are FINAL in these matters.
Tournament Scoring/Tie Breakers
Field Marshalls will report game scores to the tournament scorekeeper following the game. Match officials will report cautions and ejections to the Tournament Director following the game.
Games in the preliminary rounds will be scored as follows: Win – 3 points, Tie – 1 point, Loss – 0 points
In the event of a tie in deciding group positions, the following criteria will be used to break the tie:
1. Head to head competition
2. Goal Differential (max 6 per game)
3. Most goals scored (max 6 per game)
4. Fewest goals allowed
5. Penalty kicks
The tournament staff may change the semi-final bracketing of teams.
During group competition, no overtime will be played. In the event of a tie in the semi-final, third place, and championship games, the following will occur:
• Teams will play two 5 minute overtime periods (no golden goal).
• If still tied after overtime periods, teams will designate five players to take alternate penalty kicks: the best of five is the winner. Only those players on the field of play at the end of the second overtime period are eligible to take penalty kicks.
• If teams are still tied after 5 kicks, the remaining players will take alternate penalty kicks in sudden death fashion to determine a winner.
• In accordance with FIFA Law 4, “A player must not use equipment or wear anything which is dangerous to himself or another player.” Therefore, no prescriptions glasses are permitted, only sports goggles.
• No jewelry may be worn by any player (earrings, watches, necklaces, etc.)
• Casts or braces: the referee for each match will determine whether a player wearing an orthopedic cast or brace will be eligible to participate.
• Shin guards must be worn by all players at all times.
• All players must have an individual number on their jersey, no duplicate numbers.
• All players’ equipment is subject to referee approval.
• A minimum number of players required to constitute a team is as follows: 4v4/5v5=3, 7v7=5, 9v9=5, 11v11=7. Games will commence on time if the minimum numbers of players are present. A forfeit shall be awarded if a team is not present and prepared to play within five minutes of the scheduled start time.
• In the event of a forfeit, the winning team will be awarded a 6-0 win.
• Any team that forfeits a game may not advance to the semi-final or final round.
• Any team that forfeits a game may receive up to a three-year ban from Eclipse events and may incur club repercussions, as well.
• U8-U10 substitution is on the fly.
• U11 and older, substitutions shall be unlimited, but made only at the following times:
o Goal Kick – both teams.
o After a goal – both teams.
o Half time – both teams. o At the beginning of an overtime period – both teams.
o Throw – in, both teams may sub if the team in possession of the throw is subbing, or consent of opposing coach in an effort to allow the players to get into the game.
o After a yellow card, for the carded player only.
o An injured player may be substituted for at the discretion of the referee. If a substitution is made for the injured player, the opposing team may also make a “one-for-one” substitution.
• All referee decisions are final. No protests will be heard on any judgment calls by the referee.
• All protests must be written to the tournament committee and turned in by coach or team manager within one hour after completion of the game, along with a check for $100. If the protest is not upheld, the protest fee will NOT be refunded.
• A player, who receives a red card, will receive a minimum of a one-game suspension. The tournament committee may increase that suspension if warranted.
• The throwing of a punch is automatic removal from the tournament.
• A coach receiving a red card will receive a minimum of a one-game suspension plus possible intervention by the tournament committee and state association.
• No substitution can be made for a disqualified player for that game.
• Player/Coaches pass will be held by Tournament Director until the suspension is served.
• Tournament Committee may take additional action against a team or individual for serious offenses, which include suspension from the remainder of the event and non-eligibility for future tournaments.
• Tournament Committee will provide in writing all disciplinary action taken or required to the teams National Federation Organization or USSF [for Canadian teams]
All host facilities do not permit alcohol, smoking, or animals on-premises.
The tournament committee reserves the right to:
1. Reschedule, relocate or terminate games due to weather conditions. If ½ of the game has been played before termination for weather conditions or tournament director decision, the game stands as a completed match and is scored accordingly. NOTE: the referee or Tournament Director may suspend a game without necessarily being terminated.
2. Reduce by up to half, the duration of the game.
3 Cancel a preliminary game that has no bearing in deciding the group winner.
4. Decide the final tournament standings, trophy winners.
5. Move penalty kicks to another field or area in order not to hold up other games. The tournament director has the right to change any of these rules or make a decision that would be in the best interest of the participants. The Eclipse Select and Tournament officials are not responsible for any expenses incurred by any team in the event games are discontinued or canceled due to inclement weather or adverse field conditions. No refunds will be made unless the tournament is cancelled, in which case refunds will be disbursed on a pro-rata. The tournament Committee reserves the right to decide all matters pertaining to the tournament, and the judgment is final.